2 pm – 6 pm
12 noon – 4 pm
7 am – 11 am
US EST, Washington DC
Watch reporting video
We would like to invite you to join USAID RADA Program Conference and discuss parliamentary oversight in the new reality. We will discuss key achievements and challenges in implementing parliamentary oversight in Ukraine and other countries, including the EU, USA, the UK, and other countries.
In recent years, the Ukrainian Parliament has taken several important steps aimed at improvement of the oversight function, including the adoption of a new law. In addition, parliamentary oversight is extending to new areas of public life, addressing public demand for a new quality of policy to ensure non-discrimination, environmental protection, implementation of successful foreign policy.
• What are the modern practices of parliamentary oversight?
• How did COVID-19 pandemic affect the parliamentary oversight in Ukraine and other countries?
• What ideas can we share in making the parliamentary oversight more effective?
• What tools can be implemented by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine to strengthen the oversight function?
Conference opening, welcoming remarks
Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
USAID Mission Director in Ukraine and Belarus
Deputy Chairperson of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
President of East Europe Foundation
Chairman of the Accounting Chamber of Ukraine
Minister of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine
Member of Ukrainian Parliament, Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Committee on Rules of Procedure, Parliamentary Ethics and Administration of Verkhovna Rada’s Work
Commissioner for Human Rights of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
What are the modern practices of parliamentary oversight and main success stories?
Member of Ukrainian Parliament of the VIII convocation, Strategic Adviser on Parliamentarism of the USAID RADA Program
Member of Ukrainian Parliament of the VIII convocation, Minister of Youth and Sport of Ukraine (2014-2019), manager of the Initiative “Model Committee” of the USAID RADA Program
• Opening remarks
President of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Lithuania
• Constitutional standards of the parliamentary oversight in Lithuania
Member of Ukrainian Parliament, Chairman of the temporary commission of inquiry, First Deputy Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Committee on Budget
• The effectiveness of temporary commissions of inquiry
Political scientist, professor pro tempore for government and policy research, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany
• What is parliamentary oversight and how can it be 'measured'?
Legal Expert of the USAID RADA Program, PhD in International Law
• Effective parliamentary oversight as the basis of democracy in Ukraine: main challenges
Senior Governance Adviser, Westminster Foundation for Democracy
• Post-legislative scrutiny in Europe
Lecturer in Law, Sir William Dale Center for Legislative Studies Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) Associate Expert
• Gender-sensitive post-legislative scrutiny
How did COVID-19 pandemic affect the parliamentary oversight in Ukraine and other countries?
Member of Ukrainian Parliament of the VIII convocation, Deputy Chairperson of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2014-2019), Expert of the USAID RADA Program
• Parliamentary oversight in Ukraine during the COVID-19 pandemic
Member of Ukrainian Parliament, Chairperson of the Sub-committee on State Financial Oversight and Activity of Accounting Chamber of Ukraine of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Committee on Budget
• Implementing parliamentary oversight during COVID-19
Senior Parliamentary Official of the Italian Senate and Adjunct Professor at Luiss University
• Keeping a watchful eye: changing modes of parliamentary oversight under the COVID-19 outbreak
Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) Research Fellow in Leadership for Inclusive and Democratic Politics at the University of Birmingham
• Parliamentary oversight during COVID-19: challenges and opportunities
What are the new opportunities for parliamentary oversight and recommendations for strengthening the oversight function of the parliaments?
Member of Ukrainian Parliament
• Hierarchy of parliamentary oversight in Ukraine
• Organization of oversight in parliamentary committees and factions
Senior Consultant of the USAID RADA Program, Member of Ukrainian Parliament of the I convocation
• Oversight of the executive branch by means of an Hour of Questions to the Government
Analyst in Government Organization and Management. Executive Branch Operations, Congressional Research Service
• Expert support and successful oversight design
Expert on Parliamentary Oversight of the EU/UNDP Parliamentary Oversight Project
• Experience of piloting support of the committees of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine in the implementation of parliamentary oversight and post-legislative scrutiny
Policy advisor at the Bundestag, Lecturer and Associate Fellow at the Institute for Parliamentary Research and at the Austria Institute for European- and Security Policy
• Parliamentary scrutiny in security and defense policy
We welcome the participation of politicians, state officials, civil society representatives, researchers, practitioners.
Among the speakers of the event, we will have Ukrainian MPs, representatives of Government, oversight institutions and other authorities, well-known Ukrainian and international experts.
We can provide you with the Certificate of participation. After the Conference you will receive the feedback form. Please, identify in it that you want to receive the Certificate.
+38 066 709 5581
I agree to my personal data being processed